Jury members for the 2019 Financial Mail AdFocus Awards announced
Johannesburg, 14 August 2019: Jury members for the 2019 Financial Mail AdFocus Awards have been announced. The AdFocus Advertising and Media juries include a host of the industry’s most prominent leaders.
Members of the AdFocus Advertising Jury serve a two-year term, which maintains continuity while ensuring a fresh perspective.
New members for 2019 include Brenda Khumalo, Lesego Kotane (MD, King James II), Michael Oelschig (MD, Cerebra), Mmapula Mokoena (Head of Marketing, Yalu SA), Nkgabiseng Motau (Co-founder & Chief Creative Officer, thinkcreativeafrica), Oresti Patricios (CEO, OrnicoGroup), Suhana Gordhan (Creative Director, FCB Africa), and Tumi Rabanye (Head of Strategy, The Brave Group).
“Being new to the FM Adfocus Awards judging process, I’m a blank canvas, expecting to see how South African talent and skill will translate into answering the different business challenges with advertising that not only resonates with the consumer, but also inspires them to take action,” says new jury member, Mmapula Mokoena.
In addition, Matjie Pride Maunatlala (Head of Marketing, TFG) and Nontokozo Madonsela (Group CMO, MMI Holdings) also join the Advertising Jury this year.
Maunatlala’s expectation for this year’s AdFocus Awards is a showcase of businesses that have delivered value for their clients, as well as proof that innovation is not reliant on big budgets. “I am also looking forward to a showcase of brave work underpinned by purpose that can inject collective national positivity. For my journey, I am looking to soak up meaningful moments with industry leaders. I am more than excited to contribute to celebrating and improving our industry.”
Newcomers to the AdFocus Media Jury, Candice Goodman and Gill Randall expressed their expectations for the Awards this year.
“I am particularly keen to judge AdFocus Awards submissions that show real benefit to business, not only those that excel from a creative point of view, as well as with my technical experience, I am excited to see how technology enables innovation. I hope and expect to see AdFocus Awards entries that showcase how we can solve local problems with local solutions, and how doing good is good business,” says Goodman.
“It will be really comforting if the latest evidence-based knowledge about effective media planning is incorporated as part of the evaluative process. The current obsession with Digital and it`s role etc. has diverted a lot of industry people`s attention and created a false reality of what needs to form part of a good strategy,” says Randall.
Chairperson of the AdFocus Awards, Phumi Mashigo (founding MD, Ignitive) says: “Awards ceremonies such as AdFocus, are crucially important because they enable the industry to showcase its best work. They remind decision-makers that the absolutely vital advertising industry still exists, making businesses succeed more than 155 years after it was formally established. Which is why in Silicon Valley, the most successful start-ups spend on average 80 per cent of their funding, on brand building.”
ADFOCUS AWARDS MAIN (Advertising) JURY 2019:
- Brenda Khumalo – (Term 1)
- Bridget von Holdt (Business Director, Burson Cohn & Wolfe (BCW)) – (Term 2)
- Koo Govender (CEO, Dentsu Aegis Network, South Africa) – (Term 2)
- Lesego Kotane (MD, King James II) – (Term 1)
- Makosha Maja-Rasethaba (Partner: Head of Strategy (Jhb), M&C Saatchi) – (Term 2)
- Matjie Pride Maunatlala (Head of Marketing, TFG, Foschini Division, Foschini) – (Term 1)
- Michael Oelschig (MD, Cerebra) – (Term 1)
- Mmapula Mokoena (Head of Marketing, Yalu SA) – (Term 1)
- Monalisa Sibongile Zwambila (Founder and CEO: Riverbed) – (Term 2)
- Nkgabiseng Motau (Co-founder & Chief Creative Officer, thinkcreativeafrica) – (Term 1)
- Nontokozo Madonsela (Group CMO, MMI Holdings) – (Term 1)
- Oresti Patricios (CEO, OrnicoGroup) – (Term 1)
- Phumi Mashigo (founding MD, Ignitive & AdFocus Main Jury 2019/20 Chairperson)
- Ruth Kolevsohn (Founder & CEO, Coachability) – (Term 2)
- Sharon Piehl (MD, FleishmanHillard) – (Term 2)
- Sibusiso Sithle (Co-Founder and Chief Creative Officer, The Odd Number) – (Term 2)
- Suhana Gordhan (Creative Director, FCB Africa) – (Term 1)
- Tumi Rabanye (Head of Strategy, The Brave Group) – (Term 1)
ADFOCUS AWARDS MEDIA JURY 2019:
- Ashish Williams (CEO Medicom)
- Candice Goodman (MD Mobitainment)
- Carmen Murray (CEO of Boo-Yah!)
- Gill Randall (CEO, SPARK Media)
- Koo Govender (CEO, Dentsu Aegis Network, South Africa)
- Monique Claassen (Head of Media and Digital Insights, Kantar)
- Nikki Lewin (MD, Alphabet Soup)
- Phumi Mashigo (founding MD, Ignitive & AdFocus Jury 2019/20 Chairperson)
- Rob Smuts (CEO, RMS Media)
- Tanya Schreuder (Group MD Media Brands, Dentsu Aegis Network)
Entries for the Financial Mail AdFocus Media Awards close on 30 August, while entries for the Financial Mail AdFocus Advertising Awards close on 6 September. To enter, register on the adfocus.co.za website. (Those who registered in 2018 will need to register again for 2019).
“AdFocus is not only about competition. It is about inspiring one another, raising the bar for ourselves and our Clients, and ushering the next big thing in the world economy,” concludes Mashigo.
For further information: Danette (Breitenbach) Capper, AdFocus Awards coordinator,
e: email@example.com c: 082 494 4174
About Tiso Blackstar Group
Tiso Blackstar Group is a global company with its roots in Africa, operating market-leading media, broadcast and retail marketing properties. The group has strong exposure to the rapidly growing digital, broadcast and mobile markets, with a leading position in South Africa and a broad footprint across Kenya, Ghana and Nigeria. The company is South Africa’s largest national English publishing group, the second largest digital publisher, owns the largest music and independent film catalogues on the African continent and operates unique TV channels. The Hirt & Carter group is the biggest marketing solutions company for the retail sector in Africa. We are also the proud custodians of iconic brands that include the Sunday Times,Sowetan, Business Day, Financial Mail, The Herald, Gallo Music and Uniprint. The Tiso Blackstar Group business model is underpinned by a unique network of assets, dedication to excellence and a strong entrepreneurial focus. We are committed to providing quality content and services to our varied audiences and customers and value to our investors. Tiso Blackstar prides itself as a level 1 B-BBEE contributor. www.tisoblackstar.com
Issued by: Samantha Pugh, Pugh Public Relations & Corporate Communications
e: firstname.lastname@example.org c: 071 874 5460
On behalf of: Phumi Mashego, Jury Chair of the Financial Mail AdFocus Awards